Sunday, November 14, 2010

Duel in Progress!

Oooh, I wonder why these guys look worried XDD

Today I must go buy paper because it's all gone and definitely I hate drawing on white paper. My only eye cannot stand it... must go get yellow right away.
Tomorrow I will have a few hours to continue my clean up and wonder if... I can get more ahead of myself.


Here's another picture with my naked toe... if you like the naked toe vote on TWC LOL.

Fickle what say you?
<_3_>___l leave me alone, I'm letargic... spit.

Aaah, no wonder I did not see you around anymore.


In the next release we'll have some fencing going on. When fencing terminology comes up I'll try my best to explain it although I might not be super good at this. Something in this duel is paying homage to the famous duel between Westley and Inigo Montoya - The Princess Bride - but with the main difference is that their fencing predates mine so it is done with one sword. Our duel is fenced with two.

Here's the dialogue:

Inigo: Begin. You are using Bonetti's defense against me, uh?
Dread Pirate Roberts: I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.
Inigo: Naturally, you must expect me to attack with Capo Ferro.
Dread Pirate Roberts: Naturally, but I find that Thibault cancels Capo Ferro, don't you? Inigo: Unless the enemy hasn't studied his Agrippa, which I have! [pause] You are wonderful!

Bonetti "School of arms" 1576. (kinda obsolete)
Ridolfo Capo Ferro "Art and use of fencing" 1610 (linear fencing)
Gérard (Girard) Thibault d’Anvers "Academie de l’Espée" 1630 (more... geometric fencing)
Camillo Agrippa who wrote, "Treatise on the Science of Arms with Philosophical Dialogue2 1553. (a master of the short sword, by the way)

Our fencing duel is done with an Italian rapier (many English website state that Italians, don't have a term aside from "Sword" spada... for this kind of weapon which was actually invented there! But... when I go to museums and read about it in Italian I always find the term Stocco from which derives the word Stoccata, I am guessing, which is a common word used for different types of ... attacks? Trust, pass, touch, hit...) and a short sword called a main gauche (which means left hand).

I'll refer to another fencing master, Alfieri... who published his manual in 1660... which will make our dear Wilson Kane upgraded to the max level of fencing knowledge except for the fact that he probably only read the book while Castalia has been fencing her whole life.

Sorry to finish this post in Italian but the Princess Bride's dialogue has been mistranslated in my language and I've always wondered why since most of the master fencers referred to are Italians.

IN ITALIANO DA QUI.

Avrete capito che sto parlando del duello tra Il Terribile Pirata Roberts e Inigo Montoya...
Bonetti, Capo Ferro, Thibault e Agrippa diventano rispettivamente: la difesa ad Alfiere, la torre, la testuggine e io conosco le capriole.
Ditemi... non odiate i traduttori non professionisti che si inventano i dialoghi perché non capiscono un benemerito ciufolo di quello che traducono e sono troppo pigri per andare a fare una ricerchina?

Un dialogo che praticamente spiega come un tizio parta da una difesa super chiusa, che può essere smantellata da uno stile lineare, che su terreno accidentato va neutralizzato con uno stile di scherma più geometrico e può essere bloccato solo da uno stile che prevede "tutto vale pur di difendersi" (detto da un maestro della spada corta)... diventa un dialogo senza senso che fa semplicemente da contrappunto sonoro a una bella coreografia.
Ora è vero che chi non capisce niente di spade continua a sentirlo come un dialogo senza senso ma a qualcuno può venire la curiosità di pensare... ma sono veri sti nomi? Come ho fatto io la prima volta che ho visto il film in inglese e ho sentito che il dialogo era completamente diverso... e i nomi erano in italiano!!!!

Ora a parte Capo Ferro, che è senese, e quindi lo conoscevo... Thibault e Agrippa non li conoscevo. Su Bonetti mi ero già mezza informata.
A prescindere dal fatto che comunque magari solo poche persone sono così proattive da andarsi a cercare i nomi perché il resto del pubblico oramai è, come dice Battiato, "come sabbie mobili succhiate giù"... e basta.
Quello che mi fa incavolare è, soprattutto... perché togliere il divertimento a quei pochi schermidori che invece avrebbero capito il dialogo e ci si sarebbero sganasciati su?
Tanto restava senza senso per i più... ma Diosanto, sai quanti schermidori si sganasciavano a vedere questa scena capendo le battute? Pochini... vabbé... ma perché togliere loro il divertimento?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting preview! I wasn't expecting a duel between Kane & Castalia though. I love seeing a good sword fight =D