Friday, September 23, 2011

Chapter 15 C curiosities

Here I am with the curiosities for this past release.
The curiosities, this time around, concern mainly just one thing: Catulli Carmina.

If you are enrolled into classical studies, in high school and afterwards during University, you cannot avoid Catullus.

I never went for classical studies but my best friend did and she was the one who introduced his poetry to me when I was but 16 years old and I fell in love with the guy.


He is funny and romantic... just my type of stuff!

The Carme cited in the comic goes like this:
Lesbia mi dicit semper male nec tacet umquam, de me: Lesbia me dispeream nisi amat.
Quo signo? Quia sunt totidem mea: deprecor illam assidue, uerum dispeream nisi amo.

The translation, done by me in a very sucky sucky way, is what Kane is reading to Castalia.

There are plenty of good poetries in his book of Carmina, including the most wonderful "Odi et amo" and of course poem 5, "Vivamus mea Lesbia" which is the one where he goes: "give me a thousand kisses, then one hundred, then a thousand more, then a second hundred...." - in short to the point that they share so many kisses they will lose count.
He's sweet.
My favorite is still the one where he gets very very upset at Marrucino for stealing his kerchief! It's hilarious!

Anyways, this is the kind of stuff I was reading at 16 and still follows me around after more than 20 years. It's true love.

No comments: